Our energy-from-waste facilities recover tens of thousands of tonnes of ferrous and non-ferrous metals every year that would otherwise go to a landfill, directly reducing both greenhouse gas emissions and the need to mine more raw materials.
In the UK, our Ferrybridge Multifuel 1 facility is now able to process waste derived fuels and then recycle any materials that remain post-processing. greenhouse gas emissions and the need to mine more raw materials.
When post-recycled waste is processed, over 90 percent is converted to energy. With the remaining 10 percent ash residue, we recover and recycle ferrous scrap metals, such as iron and steel, and non-ferrous scrap metals, such as copper and aluminium. In 2015 alone, our facilities in the US recovered and recycled 159,000 tons (the equivalent of 144,000 tonnes) of ferrous and non-ferrous scrap metals that would have otherwise ended up in US landfill sites.
While these systems have been operated at our US energy-from-waste plants for decades, we continually explore advances in metals recovery technology to increase metal recycling rates. Our facilities complement local recycling programs and foster a higher overall recycling rate than communities without energy-from-waste plants.
In the US, we are currently rolling out advanced metals recovery technology that will further enhance our ability to save valuable resources and reduce the use of energy to produce new metals. In 2014, Wheelabrator formed a North American-based joint-venture company with Inashco BV — Eco Recovery Solutions — dedicated to maximising the recovery of recyclable ferrous and non-ferrous metals from the energy-from-waste process.
Inashco’s patented and proprietary technology enhances metals recovery at Wheelabrator’s facilities, extracting pieces of scrap metal as small as 0.2 mm in size. A single installation is capable of processing over 500,000 tons (the equivalent of 453,600 tonnes) per year of ash residue, reducing the volume by as much as 10 percent by weight.
If you'd like to learn more about Wheelabrator's services in the UK, please contact a member of our team at firstname.lastname@example.org