Wheelabrator Shrewsbury

Wheelabrator Shrewsbury

The Wheelabrator Shrewsbury ash monofill is a regional commercial facility that has served several energy-from-waste facilities since opening in 1987 as well as other private sector power plants. The 8.4 million cubic yard facility, originally sited to dispose of ash from Wheelabrator’s nearby energy-from-waste plant in Millbury, Massachusetts, receives more than 400,000 tons of ash per year. This monofill has provided over 25 years of reliable ash disposal to the Wheelabrator Millbury facility and several other energy-from-waste plants in the region.

The nearly 200-acre property is owned by the Town of Shrewsbury with several lined ash disposal cells permitted that will eventually total nearly 75 acres, built sequentially throughout its life.  The facility now features innovative, proprietary Inashco technology to extract recyclable metals from the ash prior to disposal.

All wastewater generated by the site is collected and treated at the Town of Westborough Wastewater Treatment Facility.  Environmental conditions are monitored by an extensive network of groundwater wells and surface water collection stations.

Responsible Disposal and Reuse

  • Post-recycled waste processed in energy-from-waste facilities reduce waste volumes by 90 percent - remaining 10 percent is ash residue
  • Wheelabrator Shrewsbury safely disposes of ash after the recovery of ferrous scrap metals, such as iron and steel, and non-ferrous scrap metals, such as copper and aluminum
  • Utilizing Inashco’s patented and proprietary technology, we further enhance metals recovery at the monofill, including copper, zinc, lead and aluminum as small as 0.2 mm in size
  • Scrap metals recovered from the ash are sent to be recycled into new commercial products

 

Fast Facts:

1987
Began Operations
12,170
Tons of Metals Recovered Last Year
200 acres
Property Size
6
Days / Week Availability
>400,000
Tons / Year