Wheelabrator is committed to protecting public health and the environment. Our facilities use advanced environmental control systems to meet and exceed some of the most stringent environmental standards in the world while safely producing clean, renewable energy for nearby homes and businesses.
Wheelabrator's UK facilities are regulated under Environmental Permits awarded by the Environment Agency (EA) or Natural Resources Wales (NRW), to ensure we operate our facilities without harming people or the environment and will fully comply with strict environmental laws. Our facilities not only meet the accepted standards for emissions (set by the European Union under the Waste Incineration Directive, now covered by the Industrial Emissions Directive) and the terms of our Environmental Permits, but also undertake additional monitoring in conjunction with local councils.
Wheelabrator's US facilities operate with superior environmental performance and are extensively regulated pursuant to state and federal air, water and solid waste laws and regulations to protect human health and the environment.
All of our US facilities have maintained their environmental permits without exception, since commencing operations 40 years ago and we continue to perform, on average, four to five times better than standards set by the US Environmental Protection Agency.
- First energy-from-waste plant in US. In 1975, Wheelabrator introduced the first large-scale, commercially successful facility in the US when we opened Saugus north of Boston.
- First energy-from-waste plant to have a materials recovery facility on site. Wheelabrator Falls was the first and only privately owned, energy-from-waste plant to have a materials recovery facility on site.
- First to install advanced air pollution control technology. Wheelabrator Millbury was among the first energy-from-waste facilities in the US to install advanced air pollution control technology designed to control SO2 and other acid gas under EPA and state best available control technology requirements.
- First to install carbon injection systems. Wheelabrator Falls was the first energy-from-waste facility to install a full-scale powder-activated carbon injection system in the US to improve mercury emission control.
- First to design the most efficient boiler. Wheelabrator Falls has the highest temperature and pressure steam conditions of any municipal solid waste-fired boiler in the world.